The SENTRI card is for pre-approved, low-risk travelers crossing the Mexico-U.S. border. SENTRI means (Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection).
Applicants must voluntarily undergo a thorough background check with immigration, customs, law enforcement, a fingerprint check, and have a personal interview with a Custom and Border Protection (CBP) officer.
Once an applicant is approved, they are issued an identification card with all their electronic information.
Once you have received your SENTRI PASS you will approach the border using a SENTRI lane. Have your card ready and you will see a sign showing you where to point the cards. All the information gathered in the CBP databases about the user is given to the inspector, including car info, pictures and passengers.
You could be randomly selected by the computer to go to secondary inspection or by the officer if he thinks there’s something suspicious.
In order to get your SENTRI pass, you will need to follow these steps:
- Complete a SENTRI application on the internet by clicking the GOES link: https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov
- Once the application is submitted, you will receive a conditional approval notification directing you to schedule an appointment online through your GOES account. Make sure to schedule an appointment before 180 days or any further enrollment will be denied. At the interview, payment of fees will be required. Total fee per person is $122.25 U.S. dollars. Make sure to bring all your original documentation:
- Evidence of citizenship (listed by you on your application)
- If not a U.S. citizen, original evidence of immigration admissibility to the U.S.
- Valid driver’s license
- Car registration
- Evidence of US automobile insurance
- Evidence of employment or financial support.
- Evidence of residence.
If you wish to register more than 1 vehicle (maximum 4 per participant) an extra fee of $48 per vehicle will be charged.
Payments can be done online or by cash, check, money order, American express, Master Card or Visa at the enrollment center. All fees are non-refundable.
TIJUANA BORDER FAST PASS
The Tijuana Tourism and Convention Committee is offering to the visitors from the United States the border fast pass in order to make your border crossing to San Diego faster. This is not the same as a SENTRI pass; the fast pass is for tourists spending the day or weekend in Tijuana-Rosarito-Ensenada areas and it can only be used once.
The pass allows drivers to enter a special lane to the border. Look for the blue sign “With Pass Only”; have your fast pass ready and show it the police officer in the booth. He will give you access to the lane.
This pass is offered by local merchants, such as restaurants, hotels, spas, furniture and some curios shops.
The pass is free and some hotels are offering them with a hotel package, visiting the SPA or Restaurant, or a minimum spending of $70 dollars in most of the stores and restaurants. Ask your merchant for the requirements
Here are some establishments offering the fast pass:
- Corona Plaza Hotel
- La Carniceria
- Vivamex Health Care
- Vita Spa
- La Casa del Mole
- Grand Baja Resort
- Las Rocas Hotel
- Hotel Festival Plaza
- La Casa de La Langosta restaurant
- Fausto Polanco Hacienda furniture
- Puerto Nuevo II Restaurant
- Brisas del Mar Hotel
- Calafia Hotel
- Sano’s steak house
- El Cortez Baja Inn
- El Rey Sol Restaurant
- Posada el Rey Sol
- Desert Inn Hotel
- Best Western El Cid
- Adobe Guadalupe Hotel